Sunday, February 27, 2011

And then he went for a bike ride...

After getting home from the cafe, I ate lunch, unfolded the newspaper, and became bored. It was a really, REALLY nice day outside, and it seemed a shame to spend it alone, inside. So I took a bike ride. I rode to the Market Street Market, bought a scone (which I didn't finish, but brought home; it was chocolate mint) and read the paper, in the little area they set up for people who buy deli sandwiches. I, a rebel through and through, ate a scone there. And then, since I had my equipment with me (I really thought I didn't) I started to draw.

Now, here's the difference between drawing in a market and drawing at a cafe. People in the market move very fast. Even the eating people were in and out in half an hour. The one person I could draw, and to be frank, wanted to draw, was the girl at the check-out (name unknown). I go to the market every Sunday to pick up groceries, and we have a nice little 30-second exchange about weather or whatever. It's a nice change of pace from the cafe, where everyone avoids eye contact. Of course, drawing her is a different experience. There are people moving through the store, wanting to buy stuff, so painting this was a little like a time-lapse photo. The customers just blow by; you can't even register them, and she stays in the same spot. I could rely on her being there in a few minutes even though at the moment she was blocked from view by an elderly lady pushing a basket.

At those moments, I ate scone.

Also, I finally got in some scenery, which is nonexistent in the cafe.

When I was nearly finished, she came over to see, seemed pleased by the results, and then I had to go.

The End.

2 comments:

Sabre said...

The scones are from Greenberry..we get them in frozen...
Some people sit and drink a kombucha
An older couple meets for coffee every weekday morning. I think it's their secret meeting spot, because they always dislike when people they know show up....
Thanks for being a part of a very complete and pleasant day...

...the capchta below says tingust

Sarah

P. Hos said...

Thank you! That just made my day, Sarah.