Thursday, September 27, 2012

I blew the cover of the New Yorker


...or did I?  This little pun is courtesy of Blown Covers, a blog produced by Francoise Mouly, art director of the New Yorker, and her daughter, Nadja Spiegelman. 

The idea is an open contest to submit cover sketches for the New Yorker, based on a timely subject, chosen by Mouly.  I had known about this for a while, but this is the first time I've submitted anything.  To make up, I submitted two covers for the topic "Halloween."  Winners don't actually get on the cover of the New Yorker, but you get bragging rights of saying "the art director of said magazine thinks my art was pretty damn good."  So far, one artist has even gone on to have their art featured on the cover of the New Yorker. 

So send me luck, and if you happen to know a Francoise Mouly in New York, mention me, won't you?

No comments: