Friday, March 15, 2013

The Line: It Wants to Be Anarchy

BigMike20X6 suggested:
V – ‘Cause I wanna be anarchy…
Never let it be said that  tools don’t matter.  They really do.  I use The Line: It Is Drawn as sort of an experimental leap pad for new techniques and general practice, and I have to say, no brush in my collection besides the Windsor Newton Kolinsky Sable Series 7 #4 could have done the hatching in this piece half as well as it turned out.

A little on the topic: it started out as illustrating a comics character with a song lyric, in this case, from the Sex Pistols.  I thought it was a brilliant match, and decided to add a few more elements to the mix: namely, a political angle and a playing card theme.  They seemed to fit together on paper, so I went with it.  Incidentally, given that the “A” is not the same as an upside-down “V” this does not work as an actual playing card.  Even without the lyrics running down the side, which I almost forgot to put in.  I don’t apologize for the stock art background.  I didn’t think I’d be able to do my planned composition justice in the time before it was due.

No comments: